Monday, December 29, 2008

2008, we hardly knew ya

I have been so busy dealing with weather adventures, holiday issues, family stuff and work that I really haven't realized that the New Year was almost here.

I used to say the New Year's was my favorite holiday. It's a date with so much optimism. It was a nice counterbalance to the pessimist in me. For many years, Christmas tended to be a disappointment. It think i expected too much of myself and those around me.

That changed somewhere along the way. I think that happened when I quit concentrating on myself and the things I wanted and started thinking about concentrated on my daughter and making the holiday good for her in some way.

Maybe that's what they mean about the spirit of the season being about giving rather than receiving.

So, maybe now that Christmas is better, great even, I have less need for a hope for a better year to come along because the one ending was ending on something of a sour note.

In the long run, maybe that puts less pressure on the new year, when the old one ends well. And all, in all, 2008 turned out to be OK, thanks to family and friends. That is if you don't take the economy and my bank account into consideration. But 2009 promises to be a big one too. It's the year my daughter graduates from high school.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to hear your daughter is graduating and that you are starting to enjoy Christmas again! My daughter graduated a few years back and that brought about good change for me as well. Nice blog.

Photo J: Capturing the Moment