Thursday, February 28, 2008

Sadie Hawkins takes the leap

It's almost Friday. Feb. 29. We get an extra day this year for Leap Year. I'm thinking I should do something special to make use of this bonus day.

Do people do anything special for Leap Year? Do people schedule parties for Leap Year? To make it a tad more special, the bonus day is on a Friday.

I'm open to suggestions for what to do with the extra day. Maybe a special dinner or a movie or something.

Maybe I need some sort of Leap Year tradition.

The biggest tradition associated with Leap Year is that on February 29 women can ask for a man's hand in marriage. I'm pretty sure I won't be a participant in that tradition. Does the modern woman need the permission of that tradition to propose to a man if he is the one she wants to spend the rest of her life with? If a woman does want to proposed to a man though, the website chiff.com offers links to help a girl out.

OK, maybe women don't do the get-down-on-one-knee, ask-for-the-hand-in-marriage thing. But women do make their intentions/desires known in their own way. And they certainly don't wait for one day every four years.

So, I don't expect a proposal to come my way Feb. 29. But I am free for dinner.

No comments:

Photo J: Capturing the Moment