Thursday, February 7, 2008

Wanted: Cooking coach to help me heat things up

I stopped at the grocery store after work. There was more grocery shopping. I think I've bought groceries more this year than I have in the last several years combined. And I've certainly fixed more of my own meals that I have since, well, ever.

I'm got quite a little string going. But I've come to a a realization. Two actually.

The first is that I need more cookware. My one skillet and two pans aren't cutting it anymore when I'm making meals at home.

The second realization is that I need to learn how to cook. I need cooking lessons.

I finally figured out that the things I've been cooking in my skillet I've been preparing at too high a temperature. Perhaps my first clue should have been that the edges of my plastic spatulas were melting.

It's a little odd to realize that here I am, a single man in my early 40s, and I've lived alone pretty much all of my adult life, yet never really learned to cook. I even have a George Foreman grill and no idea how to use it.

Today at the grocery store I explored some parts of the store I tend not to venture into. If I can't use it to make a sandwich, boil it, microwave it, or eat it raw, it's not on my shopping list. Today I saw several thing that I was tempted to get, prepackaged items intended to be easy to prepare but realized I wasn't even brave enough -- yet -- to try new things. For example, I found this stir fry mix with seafood and veggies that looked great. But it looked like it was a family serving size and not something I could down in one meal. So I was stuck with a dilema. Do I only prepare part of it? And if I do, can I re-freeze it? Or do I prepare it all and then refrigerate the leftovers?

Simple questions. Basic questions. I just have no confidence at trying things in the kitchen.

My boldest adventure of late in the kitchen was making scrambled eggs. That's part of how I confirmed to myself that I've been cooking with the skillet too hot. My first batch was, well it was edible, but it looked like crap and made a mess. So, I actually looked up how to cook scrambled eggs. The proof was right there. Heat the pan on medium, cook on medium low.

Medium low? You can cook on medium low? I thought anything below high was just to keep the food warm until you were ready for seconds.

Who knew?

Obviously I need a cooking coach. No, I don't want to take a class. I want private lessons. Preferably with a hot, female cooking coach wearing not much more than an apron.

Oh, and you'll have to provide your own apron, I don't have one of those.

No comments:

Photo J: Capturing the Moment