Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Who can promise real change for a better future?

My ballot and the voter's pamphlets sit a few feat away on a foot stool. Election Day is less that a week away. It may prove to be one of the most important elections of a generation, yet I find I'm not yet ready to mark my ballot.

I miss going to the polls on Election Day. It feels more significant somehow to go to the polls and cast a vote. A vote at the polls seems more like I'm fulfilling a civic right, like I'm more a participant in the process.

I'll probably end up doing like I have the last couple of elections and drop off my ballot at one of the drop-off spots, rather than mailing it in. It feels more like going to the polls that way. That, and I need a deadline -- a ticking clock -- to get me moving on some projects, whether at home or at work.

I am pretty sure I know how I'm going to vote on the major races (but won't divulge that here. That's a secret I'll keep for my ballot). But the ballot measures are another matter. I'm becoming a cranky old curmudgeon on ballot measure. I am tempted to vote no on everything. I believe the initiative process can be an important part of American civics. However, it mostly seems a sign that the America political system is broken. Our elected leaders (at the federal and state levels), entrenched in divisive partisan politics, seem unable to govern. Unable to practice statesmanship. Unable to make the difficult, important choices to move us forward and away from simplistic, stereotypical rhetoric.

The people have tried to take action, force change, through things like establishing term limits in various states. But instead of making things better, it has only made things worse by leaving the lobbyists and appointed bureaucrats with the influence, power and institutional knowledge necessary to negotiate the process.

Can any of these men and women running for office, seeking our vote on Tuesday, lead us to a better world?

It's a simple vote: Yes or No?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree that this may be one of the most important elections of this generation. I also believe it's one of the scariest. For the economy and foreign policies.

I don't pretend to completely understand these issues. Though I do know that there are very few people who have not been adversely affected by the economic mess our Country is in. Saying nothing of the hit that the U.S. took in foreign policies, with regards to the War.

One more area that concerns me, are some of the initiatives on our ballot. Trying to legislate morality and promote bigotry through initiatives is just wrong. (In my humble opinion) One initiative is so completely misleading, that it outrages me. But the opposition seems to not have had the money to fight back. This is regarding those Pay Day loan places, or what I call legalized loan sharking. The ballot talks about bringing them back under some regulation. But what it does't say in their commercial ads, is that this initiative insures their right to remain in business. Thus preying on the most vulnerable of our population. Those who cannot make ends meet from paycheck to paycheck. I know a few people who have gotten caught up in their traps, to the point of always running short, yet having to pay outrageous interest on these "short-term" small loans. Which only increasess their financial problems. I'd like to see these loan sharks completely shut down. Not regulate an industry that in the seventies my father would have called illegal loan sharking.

Most of our ballots speak of intolerance and bigotry. What business is it of anyone who decides to get married and who doesn't. Gay and lesbian couples should have every legal right hetero couples have. Including the ability to make the public declaration of commitment in the form of marriage. And all of the legal and financial rights that encompasses. As I'm sure you've heard a thousand times before now, why not let them have a shot at the institution that heterosexuals haven't succeeded at. (Yes, I speak of myself as well. Three marriages, and hopefully no more than that)

Good luck with your vote, my friend. And make sure you get it in on time. ;-) I know you will.

3T

Photo J: Capturing the Moment