Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Death takes a road trip

There is a story out on the Associated Press wire about a woman who died while on a cross-country journey with her family. They were traveling in an RV and the woman died while crossing Wyoming. I've only felt like I might die while crossing Wyoming, but she actually went and did it. But the family didn't stop. They continues on their journey to Oregon before reporting the death.

The story reminds me of a story that a newspaper I worked for several years ago reported about a family that drove the patriarch of their family across the country in the back of his car, post mortem. The guy's final wish was to make one last road trip in his car, and he got his wish. Of course he got embalmed before his trip.

I wish I could find the story that was published in the Daily Press back then by then-reporter Don Holland. It was a story that could have been creepy, or morbid, but Don handled it well and it was actually a humorous story. If memory serves, my friend Mike Sweeney (the photojournalist, not the baseball player, whom I don't know) took the photo that accompanied the story, which was also tastefully done and fit the tone of the story.

I wish I had a copy of that story.

By boss back then used to say that every weird story either began or ended in the desert. In that case, he was referring to the Mojave Desert. Well, not every weird story starts or ends in the desert (although even this one started in California). Some weird stories lead right here to the Willamette Valley.

No comments:

Photo J: Capturing the Moment