Saturday, January 19, 2008

Your tax pennies at work

The check was in the mail. I got it this week. From the Oregon Department of Administrative Services. It was for a grand total of 80 cent.

I'm not sure if it's worth the gas to drive to the band to deposit it. The irony is the check is to cover mileage for my jury duty.

While I appreciate the gesture, I'm not sure as a taxpayer that I think the cost of issuing and 80 cent check and paying 31 cents postage was worth the effort. Who know what it cost for staff time, the cost of the check and envelope added onto the tally.

Shouldn't there be some sort of lower limit for the amount to which the state will issue a check to someone?

It's probably a good thing I don't work for the state, I might complain about such foolishness -- just like I'm doing now.

Then again, maybe a state job wouldn't be so bad after all. Our government doesn't seem to shy about pissing money away.

No comments:

Photo J: Capturing the Moment